Saturday, June 29, 2019

A Quick Word About Zog

It has been pointed out to me that many people these days have no idea why I called this "The Zog Blog".

It has further been pointed out that there are some contexts in which "Zog" is controversial or even offensive.

In my case it is a nickname. Nothing more, nothing less. Many years ago I had a friend who’s roommate just could not seem to remember my name. She said that “Darrin” just didn’t fit or something and that I needed a nickname so that when I called I could just say “It’s Zog” and she would know who I was.

Given that “Zog” is far better than most of the nicknames that had been bestowed on me over the years I decided to go with it. For several years in the 90s I was known as Zog and many of my early e-mail addresses and chat handles incorporated “Zog” in some way.

When I moved to Texas in 1999 I did not make any effort to establish myself as Zog and over 20 years it has largely fallen into disuse. I’m not sure what prompted me to use “Zog” when I started this blog in 2011. It may have been habit or it may have been an attempt to not take myself too seriously.

In any event, in case you were wondering about the deeper meaning of “Zog”, now you know. There isn’t one.

No comments:

Post a Comment